Tuesday 28 June 2011

a day for the big ones :)

Today saw me having ANOTHER day off and doing some chores around town for the better half and whilst down there i couldnt resist having a quick sneak peak into the local river after a big spate all last week and over the weekend.  As i was walking up the river i saw a lot of fish rising to olives, mayflies, brook dunns etc as they flutter down stream so peacefully while the trout chomp on them and thought to myself  "i gotta have me some of that "  So i quickly rush off  home drop the chores off and said to her quickly that i was going fishing for a few hours before she could ask me to do anything else hehe, and off i went. 


I got onto the river around 3:30pm and the sun was high in the sky and a strong downstream wind and all the fish that i saw rising an hour before had all stopped, so i resorted to something which i dont do very often klink & dink as i like to think as myself as a purist and fish on a single dry fly onlny ;)  I put my flies into the fast water running off big boulders and calm water and nothing was bitting so i decided to have a break for five and wait untill the wind calms down a little and see if anything starts to rise again.  After about 2 minutes of me having a rest a large hatch of olives and brook dunns came on and all of a suden there were fish rising all around me and though way hay :D  After a few false casts and working out where the fish were and how far to place my flies above them so that they would take my fly more easilly i set my flies down and after a few mist takes i finally hooked into my first fish of the evening, a nice 2lb brown trout and stunnign spots on him too and the next cast i caught one a little bit smaller and thought to myself hold on if these big ones are in here could there be a monster in here somewhere!!!!!!!!!!  So i kept on with the klink & dink and then it happened i hooked into something which i can only explain as a true monster and took me for a ride up stream and took nearlly all of my line out to its backing and jumping out of the water at every chance it got trying to snapp my leader. Which after around 5 minutes fight and a lot of line reeled back in it did :(


But i am glad that i ventured off onto the main river again after a very long absence and will definatly do it again before the season ends ;)

Here are a few pictures of the fish of the day


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

 And a safe release

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment